On September 15, 2020, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services issued guidance to support state Medicaid Directors in moving towards value-based arrangements and alternative payment models. The guidance outlines lessons learned from early state and federal experiences in implementing value-based care reforms, and includes a number of examples of innovative payment models to help states achieve value-based payment.
With the pandemic crisis, current provider organization challenges are unlike any in recent history. Strategic positioning is essential for future sustainability. And creating new services that target consumer needs, and demonstrative value to payers is the growth market of the future.
In this webinar presented to the members of the Coalition for Behavioral Health, OPEN MINDS Senior Associate Ken Carr discusses how you can effectively using ROI to make the case for a new behavioral health service. He shares best practices for:
- Gaining a clear understanding of consumer and payer needs related to quality outcomes and high cost service
- Identifying effective services to address those needs that can be easily measured by agreed upon outcomes
- Creating a logical financial model that identifies key assumptions and resource drivers to project anticipated outcomes and costs
- Presenting the ROI case that demonstrates the qualitative outcomes and quantitative cost savings
This presentation was delivered on August 24, 2020 at The 2020 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute.
A recent survey by the National Council for Behavioral Health and Qualifacts found that organizations with legacy EHRs and little to no telehealth are having a more difficult time providing treatment during the COVID-19 pandemic. Get an overview of the survey findings and discuss how COVID-19 has changed or accelerated behavioral health providers’ needs for staff and client engagement tools such as appointment reminders, online documentation and billing and reporting requirements. See live presentations of client engagement tools (appointment reminders with telehealth link, myStrength, online documentation) and staff dashboards and interaction tools.
This presentation was delivered on August 26, 2020 at The 2020 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute. In the presentation, the speakers discussed future reimbursement models and expected outcomes post-pandemic; how the payer focus on quality and performance will expand; and how you can collaborate with payers as they navigate a path to recovery.
The presentation speakers included:
- Amy Pearlman, Vice President, Clinical Provider Strategy, Beacon Health Options
- Roberta Montemayor, Regional Network Manager, OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions
- Sean Schreiber, Executive Vice President, Network & Community Health, Alliance Health
- Deb Adler, Senior Associate, OPEN MINDS
This presentation was delivered by OPEN MINDS Chief Executive Officer Monica E. Oss on August 26, 2020 at The 2020 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute. In the presentation, Ms. Oss discussed best practices for managing the mechanics and the financials for reopening; how to manage uncertainty; and how to map out a strategy, a detailed operating plan, and good cash flow projections to make thinking differently a successful reality.
This presentation was delivered by OPEN MINDS Senior Associate Paul M. Duck on August 24, 2020 at The 2020 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute. In the presentation, Mr. Duck discussed how to develop relationships with the payers in your market, initiate strategic conversations, demonstrate value, and secure and optimize service agreements. He also discussed how to help payers meet their performance requirements, align your programs and services with their goals, and provide data to show that your service lines can deliver quality outcomes with lower costs.
Behavioral health care leaders from across the U.S. met on August 6th, 2020 in a candid, roundtable discussion about how they are adapting to the year’s changes and viewing the opportunities and challenges ahead. Moderated by Qualifacts Chief Sales and Marketing Officer Jeff Silverman, this hour promises to deliver honesty, insight – and some humor – in the face of adversity.
- Hear from other executives how they are managing the challenges of a disrupted market, in real time.
- Learn how peers are approaching new norms for patient and staff engagement.
- Discover how virtual delivery and remote working are shaping technology decisions across the industry
- Yvette Bairan, Chief Executive Officer, Astor Services
for Children & Families
- Paul Curtis, Executive Director, California Council of Community Behavioral Health Agencies
- Brad Howell, President & CEO, Fidelity House
- Monica E. Oss, M.S., Chief Executive Officer, OPEN MINDS
- Gregory N. Wellems, Executive Director, Intellectual Disability Services, Keystone Human Services
Has Your Agency Applied For Coronavirus Stimulus Funds? Wondering About New Sources of Relief for Behavioral Health?
This June follow-up to our April 16 program was once again co-hosted by McDermott Will & Emery, a global law firm with industry-leading health care and employment law practices, and McDermott+Consulting, a consulting firm that exclusively serves the healthcare industry with one-stop policy and lobbying services.
Our presenters shared an update on the status of and changes to Congressional financial relief legislation passed earlier this year, as well as opportunities that you can take advantage of now to support your business in these unprecedented times.
Participants Will Explore:
HHS Medicaid distribution
- Medicaid-only Providers
- Safety-Net Hospitals
- Hotspot/high impact hospitals (not exclusively Medicaid)
- How Are Behavioral-Health Providers Affected?
- Additional money for the provider relief fund
- Additional flexibility/qualifying entities under PPP
Paycheck Protection Program
- Modifications made by the Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act.
- New guidance released by the SBA and Treasury.
CARES Act Oversight & The Politics of the Election Cycle
Further Large-Scale Aid Packages: What’s On The Table
The webinar took place on April 2, 2020. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) presented Medicare Advantage and Part D health plan innovation models for calendar year 2021. The models include Value-Based Insurance Design, the Part D Senior Savings Model, and the Part D Payment Modernization Model.
This presentation was delivered on June 4, 2020 at The 2020 OPEN MINDS Strategy & Innovation Institute. In the presentation, the speakers reviewed the key competencies for becoming value-based—leadership, organizational infrastructure, financial management, technology functionality, provider network management, clinical performance optimization, and consumer access and engagement. The speakers also provided examples of organizations that are prepared for value-based contracts and discussed how to address gaps in your own readiness.
The presentation speakers included:
Drew Di Giovanni, MPH, FACMPE, Senior Associate, OPEN MINDS
- Ken Carr, Senior Associate, OPEN MINDS