On August 15, 2020, the Nevada Medicaid program implemented a 6% rate cut to fee-for-service (FFS) rates. The Medicaid rate reduction is expected to save the state about $53 million over the coming fiscal year. The rate cut was directed by Assembly Bill 3 enacted by the Nevada Legislature during a Special Session to address a budget shortfall due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic and its subsequent economic impact. The state was facing a budget shortfall of nearly $1 billion. Assembly Bill 3 made a total of $130 million in cuts to the Medicaid program.
The state’s Medicaid managed care capitation rates will be amended by Nevada’s Actuary to include the impact of the 6% reduction to the FFS Fee Schedules, with an effective date of August 15, 2020. The total Medicaid caseload as of July 2020 is 716,981. About 27% (196,256 people) of these recipients are served through the fee-for-service program.
The 6% rate reduction affects behavioral health outpatient treatment, special clinic-addiction treatment agency model, psychologist, behavioral health rehabilitative treatment, applied behavior analysis, and inpatient psychiatric/substance abuse treatment services provided by a general acute hospital. However, rates will not be cut for the following behavioral health provider types and services:
- Freestanding psychiatric hospital
- Certified community behavioral health center
- Residential treatment center
- Federally Qualified Health Center
On August 14, 2020, the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Division of Health Care Financing and Policy (DHCFP) notified provider organizations that it was also amending the application for the Home- and Community-Based (HCBS) Frail Elderly (FE) and Physical Disability (PD) Waiver to reflect the rate reduction. All FE and PD Waiver services will remain the same. The amendment must be submitted to the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval. Comments will be accepted through September 14, 2020.
A link to the full text of “Nevada Medicaid Draft Home- and Community-Based Frail Elderly Waiver Amendment” may be found in the OPEN MINDS Circle Library at www.openminds.com/market-intelligence/resources/081520nvdrafthcbsfewaiveramend.htm.
A link to the full text of “Nevada Medicaid Draft Amendment For Home &Community Based Waiver For Persons With Physical Disabilities” may be found in the OPEN MINDS Circle Library at www.openminds.com/market-intelligence/resources/081520nvdrafthcbspdwaiveramend.htm
A link to the full text of “Nevada Assembly Bill #3: An Act Relating To State Financial Administration” may be found in the OPEN MINDS Circle Library at www.openminds.com/market-intelligence/resources/071920nvassemblybill3.htm.
For more information, contact:
- Division of Health Care Financing and Policy, Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, 1100 East William Street, Suite 101, Carson City, Nevada 89701; 775-684-3676; Fax: 775-687-3893; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: http://dhcfp.nv.gov/Contact/Contact_Home/
- Submit comments on the draft waiver amendment to: Nevada Division of Health Care Financing and Policy, ATTN: LTSS – FE/PD Waiver Amendment, 1050 E William Street, Suite 435, Carson City, Nevada 89701; Fax: 775-687-8724; Email: email@example.com